Friday, April 15, 2016

The Fall

I love stories. I love reading them, listening to them, watching them and sharing them. I could spend all day wrapped up in a good story, as long as I am there from beginning to end (and have a giant bowl of popcorn to enjoy).  It drives me crazy to start a story in the middle, or anywhere except the beginning. What if I missed an important detail, the one that sets it on its course?

So naturally, I want to share our story with you and I shall begin at the end. . . Just kidding, that would drive me nuts! I am going to take you back in time to where our story actually began; the day Justin and I met.

I was in my first semester at CEU (yes I went to college, believe it or not). Life was great! I had some awesome new friends, classes were easy, and dating was a blast! One day my roomie convinced me to go to a country swing dance club with her. Granted, this was because she had a strong grip and I lacked the energy escape. At first I was hesitant due to my superb dancing abilities, meaning I never could figure out if I had two left feet or two right. Truth is, I am probably the most uncoordinated person in the world! In spite of my clumsiness I ended up having so much fun learning to country swing that I started going every week.

One night, towards the end of the semester, a new guy came to swing dance. He was easy to spot, for he was a couple inches taller than everyone else. I had just sat down to take a little break when out of nowhere, he grabbed my hand, pulled me to my feet and hauled me back onto the floor. I didn’t put up much of a fight. After all, he was pretty cute. 

We clicked right off the bat. We were having such a great time together that we never stopped dancing, not even between songs. After a while, he asked me to try a lift. I immediately thought “this will be a disaster”, but before I could stop myself, I agreed.


It sounded simple and fun. First, with his hands on my hips, I jumped up and he lifted me to his shoulder. Then I slid off and he was cradling me. With my hands interlocked around his neck, he was supposed to swing me around him and I would land on my feet facing him. Like I said, that was SUPPOSED to happen. Instead, he swung me around his back but “forgot” to stop swinging me (of course I didn’t mess up…). 

BAM! We hit the floor hard. To this day I am not sure how he did it, but somehow he managed to FALL ON TOP OF ME!

There I was squished between a rock and a hard place, and I could only do two things: laugh my guts out, and take in deep breaths because he smelled so good! It’s amazing what cologne can do to a gal.

Not long after our little tumble, we started dating. I let Justin know that if he was looking for a wife, he wouldn’t find one in me. He agreed. Eight months later we were married. 

No comments:

Post a Comment