When Bryce was five months old we received his diagnosis.
That day is easily the most difficult day of my life. Two months prior, his
neurologist ordered a genetic test. It was BY FAR the easiest test Bryce was
put through. We were sent home with a saliva collection kit. All we had to do
was collect some of Bryce’s drool then put it in the mail.
Waiting for
the results was agonizing! After all his other tests failed to find the cause
of his seizures, we expected this one to be no different. At the same time, we
hoped it would provide us with some much needed answers. Finally the call came
to report the results were in. We scheduled the soonest appointment available,
but it was still a month away. However, less than an hour later I received
another call from the doctor’s office informing me that the neurologist wanted
to see us the next day, if possible. My heart sank! I knew the results had to
be terrible if the doctor felt we needed to be seen immediately. Unfortunately,
I didn’t have enough time saved up to cover my shift at work (maternity leave
used it all), so I needed an extra day to find someone to trade with.
Two days
later we made the long trip to the doctor’s office. This was the hardest drive
for us. Not only did we stop every 20 minutes to calm Bryce down (what should
have been a three hour drive took us six), but we really didn’t know what to
expect when we got there. We felt it wouldn’t be good, so we spent the drive
trying to prepare ourselves for something terrible.
Once we
arrived, it didn’t take the neurologist long to meet with us. He walked into
the room, closed the door and pulled a chair over so he could sit directly in
front of us. One thing I like about him is that he doesn’t try to sugar-coat
things, he tells us exactly how it is. “There’s no easy way to say this, but
your son has a VERY RARE genetic disorder called Early Infantile Epileptic
Encephalopathy type 4” (EIEE 4). He then translated this for us. Bryce has a
random mutation in his STXBP1 gene that caused the disorder. He also explained
just how rare EIEE 4 is. In the past five years there have only been 20 other
cases, and Bryce is the ONLY ONE with it in the Western U.S. Because it is so
rare, not a lot is known about it.
Then
the doctor dropped the bomb. “It is TERMINAL. It WILL take your child’s life.” Those
words tore through me, ripped my heart out and crushed my soul. I couldn’t
breathe, I couldn’t think. My vision started fading, the room began spinning
and I couldn’t stop it. The words from the blessing Jus gave me almost a year
before ran through my mind “You will cherish the time you have with your child,
however short it may be” (you can read that story here).
We both
unsuccessfully fought back our tears, trying to stay in the moment to learn all
we could, trying to stay strong for each other. Somehow I managed to find my
voice and asked “How long?” How long do we have with our beautiful boy? How
long do we get to be parents to such a perfect soul? How much time do we have
to hold him, to kiss his chubby cheeks? How much time do we get until we have to
say goodbye?
“Honestly,
I don’t know. You could have him for a couple more weeks. You could have him
for 15 years.” Then our doctor did something that I will always be grateful for,
he left the room to give us time to be together. We held each other and sobbed.
We let our hearts break together. We kissed Bryce over and over again, telling
him how much we loved him, that we will ALWAYS love him. We prayed for
comfort and strength. We thanked our Heavenly Father for trusting us enough to
love and care for such a beautiful spirit. I don’t know how long we sat
embracing each other, but we knew we had to collect ourselves as best we could.
We hadn’t finished talking to our doctor, and we knew we needed to.
When we felt like we could, Justin informed the nurse we were ready to finish meeting with our doctor. A few minutes later, he came back in and our discussion continued. First, we wanted to know how Bryce would likely leave us. The most common cause of death for children with EIEE 4 is aspiration, pneumonia or any illness that his body might not be strong enough to fight off. With all the seizures he has, his body isn’t as strong as other’s, so he has a harder time fighting off illnesses.
When we felt like we could, Justin informed the nurse we were ready to finish meeting with our doctor. A few minutes later, he came back in and our discussion continued. First, we wanted to know how Bryce would likely leave us. The most common cause of death for children with EIEE 4 is aspiration, pneumonia or any illness that his body might not be strong enough to fight off. With all the seizures he has, his body isn’t as strong as other’s, so he has a harder time fighting off illnesses.
We also
wanted to know what his life might be like. First, he will always have
uncontrollable seizures. We know there are some medications and other types of
treatment that may help more than others, but nothing to make him seizure free.
Then our doctor told us, “Bryce will never be able to walk. He will likely
never be able to talk”. Another HUGE blow. I didn’t think my heart could break
any more than it already had, but I was wrong. Knowing that I would most likely
never see my baby take his first step, or hear his sweet little voice call me
“momma” sent more tears trickling down my face. I never realized what a miracle
those simple things are until they were taken away.
Then our
doctor gave us some advice. First, he told us not to ask “Why?” Honestly, how
can you not? Why is this happening? Why Bryce? Why us? After all, this kind of
thing only happens to other people, right? He also told us not to compare Bryce
to other children. Again, how can you not? How can you see other babies and not
think “look at how much more that baby can do than Bryce”? Or, “Would Bryce be
able to do that now if he were normal?” How do you not feel a stab of pain when
you see younger babies doing more than Bryce? How do you not feel grief when
you see a child doing something you know yours will never be able to do? Then,
how do you not feel guilty for comparing Bryce to others? It is IMPOSSIBLE NOT
to compare.
I have
grown a lot since then. Each day it gets a little easier to not compare Bryce
to others. I don’t often feel sad about the things Bryce can’t do. It has been
replaced with excitement for the little things he can do, like holding on to a
toy for more than a few seconds, or tracking lights with his eyes. Things that
most may not even notice are the things we cherish. Each of Bryce’s little accomplishments are
HUGE victories for us.
I have also stopped asking why. I finally
realized that it doesn’t matter why Bryce has what he does. All that matters is
we love him with all our hearts. We would do anything for him. I believe that Bryce has already perfectly
passed his test of life, but he loved Justin and I so much that he decided to
help us pass ours.
Finally, I want to thank everyone who has been there for us. Everything you have done for our family, your thoughts, prayers, generosity and kindness toward us has helped us get through one of the most difficult times of our lives! Because of you, we were able to stay strong and find happiness. Because of you, we were able to find the light in our darkest hour. Without you, we wouldn’t have made it as far as we have. Even now, we can still feel the love you have shown us, and it keeps us going. Thank you!
Finally, I want to thank everyone who has been there for us. Everything you have done for our family, your thoughts, prayers, generosity and kindness toward us has helped us get through one of the most difficult times of our lives! Because of you, we were able to stay strong and find happiness. Because of you, we were able to find the light in our darkest hour. Without you, we wouldn’t have made it as far as we have. Even now, we can still feel the love you have shown us, and it keeps us going. Thank you!





Thank you so much Nancy! He has taught me so much that I never wouldn've learned without him
ReplyDelete