We’re back! Life has been quite the adventure these past few
months. We’ve been so busy that the little bits of free time we were lucky to
get have been well spent catching some zzz’s. Things are finally starting to
slow down and I found some time to start writing again. So, what’s kept us so
busy? First there’s the usual stuff, things like doctor appointments, therapy
and visiting family. We also have some really exciting news to share, which
began a HUGE family project. I’ll get more into this later, but first an update
on the little guy.
| We were bored one day and decided to do a Super Hero photo shoot |
Earlier
this year we lost two of Bryce’s Early Intervention (EI) therapists. We were so
sad to say goodbye, both were absolutely amazing! As sad as it was to see them
go, we are excited for them as they begin new adventures. Their leaving left
Bryce with no Occupational or Speech Therapy, both very important for him to
continue. We started taking him to Outpatient Therapy to receive those
services, something we planned on doing when he turns three and graduates the
EI program. I just have to say his new therapists are every bit as amazing as
his old ones.
We take
Bryce to therapy every other week, on separate days (doing speech and OT on the
same day would be overwhelming for him . . . and me). His new OT really knows
how to push Bryce. He works so hard each session that he ends up falling asleep
during the last 10 minutes. I have seen Bryce improve so much since we started
working with the new OT. He is keeping both hands open more often while awake,
he can raise his right arm all the way up (with a little help), and he has even
started trying to support himself during some of the exercises. It may not
sound like much, but “by small and simple things are great things brought to pass.”
(Alma 37:6).
I’ve had
people ask why Bryce is in Speech Therapy if he’s not likely to talk. My answer
is that Speech Therapy is about so much more than just helping someone talk,
it’s about helping someone communicate. Bryce’s new therapist is excellent at
finding his strengths and using them to teach him how to communicate. Currently
we are working on two different methods. The first is by having him press a
button. For example, as soon as he pushes the button, music will start playing.
The other way is by having Bryce vocalize. For example, I will leave the room
and return as soon as Bryce makes any vocalization. He still has a long way to
go, but he has gotten more consistent since we started seeing the new
therapist.
| First time Bryce met Grandma and Grandpa Naylor |
A few
months ago we increased Bryce’s diet to a 4:1 ratio. This is the highest
ratio he will be on. Before the final increase, the diet really hadn’t done
much to help with seizures. The doctor working with us said that if the final
increase also didn’t do much, we should consider taking him off it. Jus and I
both felt that we wouldn’t really see any change to Bryce’s seizures, and we
didn’t for the first few weeks after the increase. However, it finally kicked
in and what a difference it made! He still wasn’t seizure free, but he was
pretty darn close! He had no more than 10 seizures a day. His tonic seizures
completely stopped and his spasms were less than three minutes long. This has
been the biggest relief from seizures Bryce has ever had and I can’t even begin
to express how absolutely wonderful it was!
Unfortunately,
all good things come to an end. After a little over two months of minimal
seizures, they came back with a vengeance. His tonic seizures started again and
his spasms not only increased in number, they also started lasting 15 to 20
minutes. He couldn’t find relief from them, especially at night. The spasms
would wake him every hour. After they stopped he just wanted to be held. If I
laid him down in bed too soon he would wake up and look at me, pleading not to be
put down.
Luckily we
were able to see his neurologist within a few days. Bryce’s meds were
increased, which has helped so far. He is still having tonic seizures, but
fewer spasms that last no more than 10 minutes. So, I guess I can say he’s back
to his normal daily seizure amount before the diet increase.
![]() |
| Grandma Naylor with Bryce and cousin Jason |
We’ve also
been able to visit family many times during the past few months. In fact, we’ve
made at least five trips since June to see them. Each trip was fun (some more
than others) in their own way, but I am going to focus mostly on the last two
visits we made. At the beginning of August, we went to a family reunion. We
were able to see most of Justin’s aunts and uncles, and a whole bunch of
cousins (on his mother’s side). However, what made the reunion extra special
was that we were able to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa Naylor.
The first
night we were there, I was lucky enough to spend a little bit of time alone
with Grandma. We walked arm-in-arm around the campground talking about whatever
came to our minds while I pulled her tank of oxygen behind us. We joked about
what a nuisance it was and how difficult it was to steer. We talked about Bryce
and how well he’s doing. She told me stories about many of her other
great-grandchildren. We stopped for a while on a bridge over a little stream to
watch some squirrels chasing each other. She reminisced about a previous
reunion held in that same spot and expressed how much she loved watching the
kids slide down the banks to play in the stream below. One thing I’ve learned
about Grandma is that she loved being with her family more than anything.
At the time
we didn’t know it, but Grandma was called back home to Heavenly Father less
than a week later. I feel so honored and blessed to be a part of her family.
She truly is an elect lady. Although I’ve only known her for as long as Jus and
I have been married, I came to love her every bit as much as my own grandmothers.
I will miss visiting with her after Bryce’s neurology appointments. I will miss
her food, because she loved to feed us every time we stopped by. I will miss
the way she always had to wrap Bryce up in a blanket because he was cold. I
will miss the way she insisted we needed more Tupperware. Thank you for letting
me be a part of your family. Till we meet again Grandma.
![]() |
| Last picture with Grandma Naylor |
I am sure you are eager to read about our exciting news now.
Unfortunately, I like cliffhangers so you'll have to wait ‘til next week.


No comments:
Post a Comment