Saturday, April 23, 2016

Hooked

I’d heard the older you are when you have a tonsillectomy the harder recovery is (a statement that I now completely agree with). However, shortly after summer break began, I decided to go ahead and get mine removed. The first two days of recovery were easy! The only things I couldn’t do were eat solid foods, or taste anything.

After those two days things went downhill in a hurry. Every time I swallowed it felt like a million needles were stabbing the inside of my throat. Needless to say, I really didn’t want to eat anything! On top of that, the antibiotic I was on made me so sick, I couldn’t keep anything I did manage to eat down. I spent as much time as I could sleeping.

It was during my recovery when Jus decided to take me fishing. When he asked me to go, the look on my face said “Are you serious?” No, I don’t want to go fishing! In fact, I had every intention of sleeping all weekend long. He was persistent! For three days he tried to convince me to go, but it didn’t work until he changed tactics.

Finally, he made me believe he had given up on taking me (Justin is a pretty good actor). He seemed SO DEPRESSED! I felt horrible. He did such a good job making me feel guilty that I grudgingly agreed to go. However, I did make one condition, we had to pack some pillows and blankets so I could set up a nice little bed in the shade.

By 7 am on Saturday we were on our way to Pelican Lake, which just so happened to be a three hour drive. Luckily, I was able to sleep most the way there. When we arrived at the lake, Justin helped his dad and brother unload the canoe. I don’t know how he does it, but Jus can convince me to do just about anything! Before I knew what was happening, I was sitting in the canoe with a pole and Jus was rowing us away from the shade, and my little bed.

He rowed us around for a little while, searching for the perfect spot. We ended up in a quiet little cove, and I must admit, it was beautiful! He took the pole from me, claiming he was going to put a hook on it, then he tossed me a worm.

I probably shouldn’t admit this, but we all have random, totally ridiculous quirks, right? One of mine is that I really don’t like worms.  When Jus tossed that worm at me I couldn’t help but dodge the nasty thing, which almost sent us swimming. When the canoe stopped rocking, Jus told me to tear the worm in half so I could bait the hook.

REALLY? There was no way I was about to touch that thing, so I had to get crafty. I stepped on half of the worm to keep it in place, then took an oar and started chopping that worm in half (pretty slick, huh?). Once I had succeed, I used the oar to scoop up one half, and place it on my knee (of course I had pants on, so it wasn’t actually touching me). I knew from experience that I could then slide the hook into the cut side of the worm, and have it baited in no time!

I turned toward Jus and asked for my pole. Instead, he swung the line toward me, and I grabbed it, being careful not to hook myself.  I reached down, grasped the hook and prepared to put on the worm, except something was wrong!

“How am I supposed to put a WORM on this STUPID HOOK?” I blurted. Before Jus could answer I realized it wasn’t a hook at all! It was a ring! I looked up and there he was, kneeling in the canoe (which takes talent). He took my hand and asked me to marry him. Of course I said yes!

He leaned over and kissed me, slipped the ring on my finger, and said “Don’t you dare drop this ring in the lake”. 

Awe, he knows me so well!



No comments:

Post a Comment