One of my favorite things about Christmas is family
traditions. Growing up we would help my mom make candy (she always made a bunch),
then James, Aubree and I would deliver the goodie plates to our neighbors. We
also had two Cousin Christmas Parties, one for each side of the family. We’d eat
dinner, play games and then all the cousins would exchange gifts. I can’t
forget to mention our elf, Eppie, who kept a close eye on us all month long to
make sure we were extra good. On Christmas Eve before we went to bed, mom would
read us the story of Christ’s birth. When morning finally arrived Aubree would
ensure we were all up by 5 am, then we’d sit in our rooms and go through our
stockings (Santa always left them at the foot of our beds). We weren’t allowed
out of our rooms until Grandad and Grandma arrived to watch us open presents.
After that we’d get ready and go to Grandpa and Grandma’s for breakfast and a
few more gifts.
When I
married Justin I was able to join in on his family traditions. We’d help Nanny
with the baking (I’ve never baked so many cookies in my life). We helped
decorate the tree. I’ve heard rumors of a nice, full tree that they put up, but
in all the years we’ve been married I have yet to see it. Instead we put up a
Charlie Brown tree to decorate with all the ornaments the boys made while
growing up. It is a fun trip down memory lane. Once the tree was decorated,
we’d take turns throwing little bells onto it. On Christmas Eve, we’d stay up
all night eating Summer Sausage with cheese and crackers and play games. Then
at 1 o’clock in the morning we’d go to our rooms so Santa could pay us a visit.
At 2 am we’d all meet by the tree, read the story of Christ’s birth, then open
presents.
After being
married for five years and having Bryce, we’ve been able to start a few of our
own family traditions. On Justin’s days off we like to do dinner and a movie.
We’ll take our plates of food into the living room, bless it, then enjoy a
Christmas movie. When we’re done eating the three of us will snuggle under a
blanket and finish watching the movie. We usually begin with, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the one
with Jim Carrey). It is one of Justin’s favorites. The next day we watch the
animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas,
since I like it more than the other. After that we take turns choosing which
movie to watch. On Christmas Eve we watch A
Christmas Carol, my favorite (oh no! I’m taking after my mom)!
We used to
drive around at night and look at all the fun Christmas lights. However, since
Bryce joined our family we haven’t done it as much. He doesn’t like being in
his car seat. After a few minutes of driving around he gets very angry. I’m not
going to lie, having an upset little boy makes for an unenjoyable ride.
Instead, we have found a new way to look at Christmas lights. We bundle Bryce
up, put him in his wheelchair and walk around the park. The city puts a bunch
of fun lights in the trees, and Bryce LOVES looking up at them. We also like to
walk around the Temple. There’s something about all the Christmas lights that
make it look even more beautiful.
Of course
we have to get pictures of Bryce on Santa’s lap! Unfortunately Bryce gets sick
quite easily (which makes his seizures worse), so taking him out in public when
everyone and their dogs are sick is risky. Needless to say, we become hermits
this time of year. Luckily we have an AWESOME friend. She knows Santa Claus
personally, so she brings him to our home for a special visit! Bryce isn’t too
sure of Santa yet, but he lets Santa hold him. We’ve learned that he loves to
feel Santa’s beard. We have to untangle his little fingers from all the hair
when we take him off Santa’s lap!
| Bryce helping me put lights on the tree. |
Our
favorite tradition is decorating the tree. When we put up our first Christmas
tree Jus and I discovered that we had different ideas of how it should be
decorated. We tried combining our ideas and it turned out absolutely HORRIBLE!
So we came up with a better solution; we decided to take turns decorating it.
This year was Justin’s turn, but before I go into detail I need to give a
little background information.
Jus served
his mission in Louisiana (he loved it there). Since a mission for The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is two years, this meant that he was there
for two Mardi Gras celebrations. Everyone knows that beads are thrown at the
Mardi Gras parades, so of course the missionaries pick up as many as they can.
Jus still has all the beads he collected and I’m not joking when I say there
are a TON!
| This is only a fraction of all the beads. |
That being
said, the only thing (besides lights and a snowflake on top) Jus allows on his
tree are Mardi Gras beads. But we can’t just put the beads on the tree (how
boring is that?), we have to go across the room and THROW the beads at the
tree. You know, it’s actually an exciting way to decorate the tree and we’ve
only knocked it down a few times. When we’re all out of beads to throw, the
tree looks like someone puked up Mardi Gras all over it.
We couldn't stand across the room to make this video.
I love
family traditions. They are simple things we do that bring us closer together.
| Ain't it purdy? |
“Family traditions counter alienation and confusion. They
help us define who we are; they provide something steady, reliable and safe in
a confusing world.”
- Susan Lieberman
No comments:
Post a Comment