Bryce finally got his G-tube! Jus and I are SO RELIEVED it
finally happened, especially since we didn’t think it would. The problem was
that he had to be healthy for six weeks prior to the surgery in order to get
one placed. For children with a compromised immune system six weeks is a LONG TIME
to go without getting sick, especially during cold and flu season. We had to
reschedule the surgery a few times since July and we really didn’t want to again. Jus and I both felt that if Bryce got sick before his surgery, then
it most likely wouldn’t happen until next spring. With that in mind, we did
everything we could to keep him healthy.
Unfortunately,
FIVE DAYS before the surgery Bryce came down with a fever. We were so
disappointed, but decided to work with his pediatrician to hopefully make him
healthy in time for his surgery. We had lab work done to make sure everything
looked good (thank heavens it did). I called the surgeon's office to let them
know Bryce was sick and to ask if he could still have the operation. The
receptionist didn’t know, but it would be decided when a nurse called the day
before his surgery.
![]() |
| Taking a nap before the surgery |
The day
before Bryce’s surgery finally arrived and with it came a call from the nurse.
I let her know Bryce had been feverish a few days before and asked if the
surgery could still happen. She didn’t know, but she gave us two options. We
could either reschedule just to be safe, or we could go in the next morning to
be examined by the Nurse Practitioner, Surgeon and Anesthesiologist. We were
already up in Salt Lake by the time I received the call (Bryce had an
appointment with his Neurologist that day) so we decided to take him in. The
nurse then gave us instructions to prepare us for the surgery, just in case it
happened.
We had to check
in to Primary’s the next morning at 9 am. Once Bryce was registered, they took
us back to a little room where we waited until it was time for the
surgery. We were given a hospital gown to put Bryce in and some of the coolest
wipes I’ve ever seen to clean him with (they were thick, soft and very warm).
Then the Nurse Practitioner came in and examined him. SHE CLEARED BRYCE FOR THE
SURGERY! We honestly didn’t think she would, but were so excited she did! Now
all we had to do was wait for Bryce to be taken back, which wasn’t until noon.
Finally, at
11:50 am the Anesthesiologist came to talk to us for a bit, then take Bryce
back for the operation. I was able to carry my sweet boy down the hall a little
way, then it was time to part. I handed Bryce to the doctor and watched as he
walked away with my child. I’m not going to lie, it took everything I had to
not break down and cry (good thing Jus was there to make me smile).
![]() |
| Hanging out with Daddy before the surgery |
The surgery
only took an hour, but we still had to wait for Bryce to come out of the
anesthesia before we could see him. Before Bryce was taken back, the Surgeon
let us know that it would probably take him a little longer to come out of it
because he has low muscle tone. He was right. After thirty more minutes of
waiting, we were allowed to go to him. He wasn’t awake yet, but he was out of
the danger zone. I was so excited to hold my boy again (if you haven’t noticed, I have a really hard time being away from my son).
When Bryce
did wake up he was not a happy camper. In fact, for the next two days all he
did was cry and sleep. Jus and I made sure his nurses stayed on top of his pain
management and we all tried everything we could think of to help him relax, but
nothing was working. It was very exhausting! Then a few amazing
things happened. First, we received a bunch of new ideas to try (thanks to all
who helped!) and each one helped him relax a little. It was absolutely
wonderful! Then, during our second evening there we passed a volunteer playing
his guitar (sadly, I can’t remember his name). Jus had the brilliant idea to
ask him if he’d come to our room and play for Bryce.
| He was NOT happy |
The
volunteer played two songs for us. The first was a love song (I can’t remember
the name of it). It was absolutely beautiful! At one point during the song he
pulled out a harmonica. As soon as Bryce heard it, his eyes got big and he
settled down so he could listen. By the time the song was over Jus and I
had watery eyes, but then he started the second song. This time he played “Here
Comes the Sun” and he personalized it for us. Instead of singing “little
darling”, he sang “little Bryce”. It was such a sweet, special moment that
touched our hearts. Jus and I were in tears! Bryce’s heart rate went from 180
to 130, the lowest it had been since we arrived for surgery. Later we found out
that while the volunteer was singing, all the nurses working in our section
stood outside our room and cried with us.
Our third
morning at the hospital arrived and Bryce woke up happy! I was so excited that
he was finally in a good mood. He even wanted to be held (the previous two days
he became extra grumpy when I tried to hold him). It was a wonderful day! We
were released that afternoon. All three of us were ready to be home. Bryce even
slept most of the way home, we only had to stop twice the whole drive (a
miracle)!
Bryce got
so excited the next morning when he woke up and realized where he was. There
really is no place like home!


Another beautiful post. I too got choked up and teary reading about the singing and how it relaxed your sweet little Bryce. Thanks for sharing this wonderful event.
ReplyDeleteThank you! It was such a beautiful experience. I wish I thought to take a picture, or maybe even a video of the volunteer singing to Bryce. Oh well, it is a cherished memory.
Delete