A few weeks ago we packed our bags, loaded the car and hit
the road. It was time for a little vacation at Grandad and Maw’s house! Our
first day there was pretty laid back. You see, it is a seven hour drive to get
to their house, but with Bryce it is more like a 10 hour drive. We couldn’t
leave home until pretty late in the day, so we didn’t arrive until 2 o’clock in
the morning. Luckily for us, Bryce slept most of the way. Unfortunately, once
we arrived he thought it was time to be awake and wouldn’t let us go to sleep
for another hour or so. Needless to say, we were quite exhausted the rest of the
day!
| Maw, Carter, Peyton and Bryce |
The next day
was a bit more eventful. We started it off by walking up to Main Street to
check out the Indian Summer Festival the town had going on. The festival
consisted of different vendors lined up on Main Street and at the end was a
HUGE community yard sale. Have I ever mentioned how much Jus and I LOVE yard
sales? It’s one of our favorite things to do on weekends, especially when we
find something awesome (like our tent)!
| Great Grandma and Bryce |
Later that
night Maw hosted a very delicious dinner. Uncle James (my brother), Aunt
Shelby, Carter, Peyton, Aunt Aubree (my sister), and Great Grandpa and Grandma
all came over. Grandad and Maw made some yummy barbeque chicken and dutch oven potatoes
(I don’t mean to brag, but Grandad makes THE BEST dutch oven taters EVER!).
Great Grandma brought some fresh corn on the cob (my favorite) and some yummy
peach crisp! Let’s be honest, nothing beats and evening of good food and family!
| Great Grandpa and Bryce |
The
highlight of Sunday was when Bryce got to experience riding on a four wheeler
for the first time! This is something I have been anxiously awaiting, for there
is almost nothing I love more than being on a four-wheeler! Out of all the times
we’ve been to Grandad and Maw’s house, for some reason we have never been able
to get this ride to work out. Finally it happened! Grandad was the first to
take Bryce (it’s kind of Grandad’s thing). I was a little worried to see how
Bryce would respond, but he ended up loving it! In fact I don’t think he was
ready to be done when we took him off 30 minutes later.
| Grandad and Bryce |
Monday
brought Justin’s departure. He had to return home so he could go to work. Bryce
and I were sad to see him go, but I am thankful he works hard so I am able to stay
home and take care of our sweet boy. I’m not going to lie though, I have a hard
time sleeping at night when Jus isn’t with me.
The rest of
the week was pretty easy going. Maw and I got to hang out with Bryce, Carter
and Peyton while everyone else went to work. Carter is the friendliest little
boy I know! He absolutely LOVES Bryce, and seeing how he is with him just melts
my heart. He taught Bryce how to play with his favorite toys (Ninja Turtles and
cars, of course!). If Bryce was sleeping while he was playing, he would check
on Bryce every couple of minutes to make sure he was okay, then kiss his cheek
before he went back to the toys.
| Carter giving Bryce a kiss |
Peyton was
also really well with Bryce. She had observed her brother kiss Bryce a few
times, so when no one was paying attention (or at least when she thought no one
was), she would sit down by him and give him a kiss as well. She was also very
interested in his NG-Tube! We had to stop her from pulling it out a few times.
She got to the point where she would reach for it while saying “no no no no”.
Silly girl. She did have a few moments when she just didn’t like Bryce, but
that was only because she was so tired and Maw was holding him, not her.
| Peyton saying cheese! |
Friday came
a little too quickly. The plan was to have Aunt Aubree take Bryce and I back home,
but first we had a few things we wanted to do. At noon, the high school was
putting on a parade to celebrate Homecoming Week. How could we miss such an
exciting event? We all walked to where Great Grandad and Grandma usually watch
the parade, and waited for it to start.
| Waiting for the parade to start |
I was
excited, for this would be the first parade Bryce would actually be awake for
(at least I hoped so). Finally we heard it coming. As the boy scouts marched
the flag past us, Bryce’s eyes were getting heavy. Then came the high school’s
marching band. Bryce’s eyes popped open as the music captured his attention. He
LOVED it! Sadly, after the band passed Bryce decided that he just didn’t want
to be awake any more. At least he was able to see part of a parade. Maybe next
time he’ll stay awake through the whole thing…but I’m not holding my breath.
| Picnic in the park with Great Grandad and Grandma (Shh! Don't tell Grandad I took his picture) |
After the parade,
we walked to the park for a little picnic with Great Grandad and Grandma and my
brother’s family. Carter and Peyton ate quickly for they were so excited to
play! It was so much fun watching the kids playing! Peyton did her best to keep
up with her big brother and do everything he did. Carter was having a blast going
down the slide again and again. After going down a few times, he would run up
to Bryce (who was sleeping in my arms) and give him a big kiss on the cheek. I
think he really wanted Bryce to be awake so they could play together.
At one
point a few foreign kids also came to play at the park. They communicated with
each other using their native language (which I believe was French) and it
worried Carter a little. Every time they would run past Peyton, he would
protectively wrap his arms around her. He’s such a good big brother! After a
while, when he realized they weren’t going to hurt Peyton he decided they were
his friends. He wanted so desperately to play with them, but he just couldn’t
understand what they were saying! So, not wanting to be left out any more he
hollered at them, “Hey! Stop saying those funny sounds!” Silly boy cracks me
up!
| First time sliding on her own! |
Unfortunately,
our time at the park had to end. I still had to finish packing our stuff so we
could hit the road and make it back home to Justin! Don’t get me wrong, I was
pretty excited to see my hubby again, but it is always sad to leave. Our time
with family was wonderful, and I can’t wait to see them again!
No comments:
Post a Comment